Tuesday, October 7, 2014

First post

I've recently started the course Production design and contextual influences. This is my first time using blogger so I'm a bit apprehensive. So far I've had an introduction to the workshop where I learnt how to use all the different machines safely and how to keep the environment safe for me and the others; for example keeping the guards down and sweeping up dust afterwards. I also got to try out all the machinery such as the sanding machine, the band saw and others, so I could start getting the hang of them; which was pretty useful.

I've then been studying the play "the Importance of Being Earnest" and analyzing the characters and the setting, in order to decide which period I could set my version of it in, including the sets and costumes. I've decided to stick closely linked to the original version and keep it Victorian based and the characters a wealthy family. I've explored and researched different Victorian buildings and interiors and different Victorian clothing. I also looked at how people previously interpreted "the Importance of Being Earnest" through set and costume to collect more ideas and inspiration. I found some of the information quite interesting such as how men originally would wear detachable cuffs and matching, stiff, detachable collars worn up to 3 inches high and then how the females eventually took on the phase. I'm currently exploring the set more so as I have to make a mini set completely from hardboard and I have to use a 1:25 scale ruler to do so; which I have also just recently learned how to use. It's a lot simpler to use than I imagines and is also really useful. Here's some images I've researched for making my mini set.



No comments:

Post a Comment